How Do You Install a VPN?
Nowadays, when browsing the internet, you need to take extra steps to guarantee your safety. There are third parties who want to monitor our activities. Some malicious agents go as far as hacking people’s devices. This is where a Virtual Private Network (VPN) comes in. A VPN provides an extra layer of security that enables secure internet access by routing your connection via an encrypted server.
So, irrespective of your device, it is best to use a VPN. But many people do not know how to install a VPN on their browsing device. Thus, in this article, we look at how to install VPNs on different gadgets.
Installing a VPN on Your Device
Installing a VPN typically involves the following steps:
- The first step is to choose a VPN service. Research and choose a reputable VPN service provider.
- Create an account. Sign up and create an account on the VPN provider’s website
- Download and install the VPN software on your device. You can do this by visiting the provider’s website and downloading the software or going to your device’s app store for the app.
- Next, you need to configure the VPN. Open the VPN app on your device, enter your account credentials, and choose the server location you want to connect to.
- Connect to the VPN. You will need to click the connect button to start using the VPN.
It is important to note that these steps may vary depending on the VPN software you are using. It is better to identify your device’s operating system and carefully follow the necessary procedures. This ensures the connection is active and reliable.
For example, on a Windows or Mac computer, you may have to download an installer file, run the file, and then follow the prompts to install the VPN. You may go to the app store (Apple App Store or Google Play Store) and download the VPN app on a mobile device.
Setting Up a VPN on a Windows PC
Follow these to set up a VPN on a windows PC:
- Use the Windows Store or the internet to download a VPN app.
- Go to “Settings,” select “Network,” and then “VPN.”
- Select “Add a VPN” and fill out the necessary fields for “Server Name,” “VPN Type,” and your account information. The VPN service provider you want to use gets access to this info.
- Save your VPN.
Now, return to “VPN,” select the newly added account, and then click “Connect.” Find some of the best VPNs for Windows.
Setting Up a VPN on a Mac Computer
Take these to set up a VPN on a Mac computer:
- Download a VPN application from the App Store or online.
- Go to “System Preferences” and then select “Network.”
- To choose your VPN, click the + symbol in the lower left corner and check the drop-down menu.
- In the “VPN Type” and “Service Name” sections, provide the information for your preferred VPN.
- Set up a new VPN network and fill in your “Server Address,” “Remote ID,” and “Local ID.”
- Put in “Authentication Settings” and add your username and password.
- Select “OK” and connect your VPN.
Setting Up a VPN on an Android Device
Follow these to set up a VPN on an android device:
- Go to the Google Play Store to download the VPN app.
- Head over to “Settings” and go to “Network & Internet.” Click “Advanced” and “VPN.”
- Select “Add VPN.”
- The name of your VPN should now be visible when you return to the VPN screen. Tap it, then enter your VPN username and password. Additionally, you can keep your account details and turn on the VPN continuously.
- After that, select “Connect.”
- Type in the VPN name, type, server address, username, and password.
- Then select “Save.”
If you’ve set up traffic to pass via another location, you may find that surfing the web isn’t as quick as it used to be after your VPN is up and running. Your internet connections may also slow down because of the stronger encryption or more users connecting to one VPN. Of course, this can be different on certain Android devices and can also differ depending on which VPN software you use. For example, you can learn how to set up NordVPN on Android TV here.
Setting Up a VPN on an iPhone or iPad
The tips below will help you set up a VPN on an iPhone or iPad:
- Go to the Apple Store or internet to download your preferred VPN app.
- Head to “Settings” and scroll down to “General.”
- Find the VPN menu and select “Add VPN Configuration.”
- Select the right “Type” of the VPN you have installed and proceed to input its details.
- Fill in your VPN’s “Description” and “Server” then your “Account” and “Password.”
- Select done and toggle your new profile to “On.”
In addition to learning how to set up a VPN on an iOS device, you can also find the best free and paid VPNs for iPhone on our site.
Setting Up a VPN on Your Router
A router internet connection running over a VPN operates in the same way as a typical VPN. Your web browsing is fully uninterrupted since your traffic is routed via a VPN’s servers. Anyone attempting to spy on you, from data-hoarding companies to small-time crooks, will be unable to see your behavior.
This is a fantastic method to safeguard your entire computer network, instead of one gadget. Although each router is different, the basic instructions you must adhere to are as follows:
- To access your admin panel, enter your router’s internet protocol (IP) address and your password.
- In the options, look for the VPN option.
- Instead of choosing a VPN server, choose a VPN client.
- Enter the right settings. You should get this information from your VPN service provider. You can upload the information if you have an OpenVPN configuration file instead of manually entering it.
Finally, follow any extra instructions that your router may give you. These instructions differ from router to router. ASUS Routers have different guides, and that can also depend on which VPN you use. Those with NetGear routers may also have different setups entirely.
Setting Up a VPN on a Chromebook
Using a VPN on a Chromebook was once very hard. But now, several VPNs, including NordVPN and ExpressVPN, offer Chrome OS-specific versions. You may download VPN software from the VPN’s website or the Google Play store to get started.
Whichever option you choose, your VPN app should launch with prompts on how to finish setting it up. So:
- Find the Play Store icon on your Chromebook’s desktop or menu, then click it to launch.
- In the search field, enter the name of the VPN you want to set up.
- Select “Install” from the menu.
- Open the VPN app you just installed on your computer. You may next have to register for a VPN service plan or fill out the necessary information to set up a service account.
- Now, return to the VPN application window. Click the “Connect” button or toggle to create a VPN connection.
How to Choose the Right VPN Server
You may not always wish to connect to the VPN app’s suggested server. You could wish to use your VPN’s custom servers or pretend to be somewhere else. Or maybe the server that the software suggests is just unreliable or very sluggish. The best VPNs enable you to switch swiftly to a different VPN server for any purpose.
VPN software sometimes offers their servers extensive pull-down menus or menus. The top VPN providers include search bars and prominently display servers for tasks like BitTorrenting and streaming. An interactive map is a common feature of the apps offered by VPN providers. With NordVPN, for instance, you may choose a country and connect to servers there.
What you intend to achieve will determine the server you choose. Pick a server close to you for faster speeds. You need a server nearby the website or content you wish to view to access region-locked content.
Some VPN providers offer dedicated video streaming servers. Since streaming providers like Netflix block VPNs, these specific servers are helpful. The licensing agreements Netflix has with studios, which provide different content for various countries, are under question.
VPNs work for many devices. Hence, irrespective of the device you use, you can safeguard and protect yourself and sensitive online info. Following the steps discussed above will help you install any VPN on your device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use a VPN?
There are several advantages to using a VPN. You can transfer files privately using a VPN, without worrying about hackers. You can also protect your identity and anonymously browse the internet.
VPN services protect your IP address, passwords, location, and other personally identifiable information from hackers and “big data” collectors. VPNs also are inexpensive and simple to use. The monthly cost of a VPN service is as low as a few dollars.
When should I use a VPN?
Every time you go online, you should ideally utilize a VPN. However, due to the slowdowns, an “always on” VPN isn’t practical for everyone. Instead, we believe it’s more useful to think about using a VPN when:
- Remotely connecting to secure networks
- Engaging in activism or evading government censorship
- Using public Wi-Fi
- Concealing activities from a web browser
- Purchasing things online
Will I have to pay for a VPN?
Free VPNs exist, but they often sell the customer data they collect, which defeats the purpose of these services. If money is an issue for you, you can rest easy knowing that most VPN services are inexpensive and may cost as little as $10 to $13 per month; and as low as $3/month for longer subscriptions.
Why is my internet slower after I set up the VPN on my device?
Don’t panic if your internet connection becomes sluggish after setting up your VPN. This is a minor flaw when considering the high degree of privacy and security that a VPN has brought.