How to Set Up and Use NordVPN on Android TV (Updated 2023)
NordVPN is an elite VPN service provider with the essential and advanced features to keep your internet connection secure and unblock several platforms. Users know it well for its excellent security, privacy, economical pricing, unblocking prowess, dedicated customer support system, and performance. It is available for several devices, including macOS, Windows, Android, Routers, iOS, Android TV, etc. In this article, we will take a look at ways to set up and use NordVPN on Android TV.
Setting Up NordVPN on Android TV
Using NordVPN on Android TV allows you to unblock several streaming platforms while securing your internet connection and maintaining your privacy. There are a few ways to set up NordVPN on Android TV.
1. Setting it up through the NordVPN application on Google Play Store. This requires navigating through the Play Store, selecting the application, and downloading it on your Android TV.
2. Setting it up manually. This requires importing NordVPN’s OpenVPN configuration on the OpenVPN Connect application.
3. Setting it up through a computer. This involves sideloading the application to your Android TV.
4. Setting it up through a router. This involves buying pre-configured routers or changing settings on compatible routers.
The sequence of events in setting NordVPN up either through the application or manually can range from easy to complex depending on your level of technological expertise. However, you don’t have to worry as we will guide you through it all.
Get NordVPN for your Android TV
Setting Up NordVPN Via the Application on Play Store
This is the least complex way to set up NordVPN on your Android TV. Let’s take a look at the step-by-step process of setting it up via its Play Store application.
1. Navigate to the Google Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Search for NordVPN and download the application.
3. Install the application and select the “Log In” tab on the main menu. You must have already purchased a subscription plan before you can log in.
4. If you don’t have a NordVPN account, you can select the “Sign Up” tab instead.
5. You should see a QR code you can scan with your smartphone. Once you scan it, a NordAccount page should come on your phone’s screen. On that page, click on “create an account” and continue the process till you are on the “Services” page.
6. Select NordVPN (plus other services if you want to include them) and pay for a subscription plan of your choice.
7. Go back to your Android TV and log in. You should see on your screen instructions to complete the log-in process.
8. Once you log in, you can choose the “Connect now” tab to get the best server available for you at that moment. You might come across some warning messages pop up. They usually are permission requests NordVPN needs you to accept before it can work effectively.
9. The “All Countries” menu also gives you access to an array of countries you can connect to.
10. The “Specialty servers” menu gives you access to special servers. Here you can select Dedicated IP, Obfuscated, Double VPN, Onion over VPN, and P2P servers.
11. The “Settings” menu allows you to change settings and control your experience. You can change the DNS configuration, enable CyberSeec, allow local network discovery, change VPN protocols, manage your subscription, select applications you trust, check activity log, change auto-connect settings, etc.
That’s all that you need to take advantage of NordVPN’s application and start streaming.
Setting Up NordVPN Manually With OpenVPN Connect
While this method is not as simple and easy as the previous one, it is straightforward and easy to implement. Let’s take a look at the process.
1. Go to NordVPN’s website and subscribe to any of its subscription packages that suits your needs.
2. Switch on your Android TV and navigate to the browser.
3. Go to the OpenVPN configuration files page on NordVPN’s website and download the configuration file(s) you need.
4. Exit the browser and navigate to Google Play Store.
5. Search for the OpenVPN Connect application and download it.
6. Once you’ve installed the application, open it and import the configurations you downloaded from NordVPN’s website.
7. Log in to OpenVPN Connect with your NordVPN credentials and click “Connect.”
While this method offers more security, you have to download and import OpenVPN configurations for each server you intend to use. Unlike the application, it makes switching servers a cumbersome process.
Setting Up NordVPN Through a Computer
This method is advantageous in situations where users cannot access Google Play Store on their Android TVs. It requires sideloading the application using ADB (Android Debug Bridge) on a computer. Let’s take a look at the process below.
1. On your computer, download the APK file from NordVPN’s website.
2. Go to Google’s official website, download the Android SDK Platform Tools ZIP file (ADB is in this file), and extract the contents to a folder of your choice. The file you download depends on the operating system of your device.
3. Move the APK file to the same folder.
4. Go to your Android TV and navigate to Settings>About
5. Go to “Build” and tap it several times until you get a notification that developer mode is active.
6. Move back to “Settings,” navigate to “Developer Options,” and select it.
7. Navigate to “USB Debugging” and enable it.
8. Using a USB Cable, connect your computer to your Android TV. Ensure the connection mode is “file transfer.”
9. On your computer, head over to the folder you extracted the contents of the Android SDK Platform Tools ZIP file into.
10. For Windows, right-click in the folder and select “Open command window here.” For macOS and Linux, open Terminal and navigate to the folder.
11. For Windows, type “adb devices” to make sure your Android TV is connected. For macOS and Linux, type “./adb devices” to check. You should see a device before moving on.
12. For windows, type “adb install NordVPN.apk” to install NordVPN on your Android TV. For macOS and Linux, type “./adb install NordVPN.apk” to do the same. The name of the APK file must be the same as the name. You should see a “success” message if it works.
13. On your Android TV, go to Settings>Apps to start the NordVPN application.
14. Enter your credentials and start streaming!
Setting Up a Connection Through a Physical Router
Connecting your Android TV to a router configured to work with NordVPN will allow you to stream unblocked content with ease. NordVPN collaborated with FlashRouters to provide pre-configured routers for users with no technical knowledge in configuring routers. Since there is no need to configure the router, you can just order the router and connect your Android TV. You can find details on this site.
If you already have a router, you should confirm that your router is compatible with VPNs, supports OpenVPN, and can support NordVPN as a Client Software. Let’s take a look at how to configure a router that is compatible with NordVPN.
1. Subscribe to a NordVPN subscription plan if you don’t have one.
2. Download OpenVPN configuration files of the server(s) you intend to use.
3. Get access to your router’s settings by entering your router’s IP address (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) and logging in. In some cases, it might not be any of those two addresses. You can find out here how to find your router’s IP address.
4. After getting access to your router’s settings, the next steps depend on your router’s firmware. NordVPN has made the process easy as it has instructional guides for firmware that it supports. You can check its support page for information on specific types of routers. However, in setting up VPN connections on any router, you will need to upload the configuration file(s) you downloaded and put in your NordVPN credentials.
5. Once you have activated the VPN connection, you can connect your Android TV to the router through a LAN cable or WiFi.
Get NordVPN for your Android TV
Why Should You Use NordVPN for Android TV?
NordVPN’s exceptional features make it one of the best VPNs to use for Android TV. Here are a couple of reasons why you should use NordVPN:
1. Security and Privacy
NordVPN does not just claim to have advanced security and privacy features; its security prowess is respected by many. It remains one of the best VPN services that protect your digital footprint and discourages malicious hackers from causing mayhem. You can watch your Android TV peacefully with features like DoubleVPN, military-grade encryption, CyberSec, Onion over VPN, Obfuscated servers, Split Tunneling, etc.
2. Unrestricted Access to International Streaming Platforms.
NordVPN’s server network of over 5400 servers spread far and wide; it has a presence in 59 countries. This gives its users access to a wide array of streaming platforms and international content. Several of its users acknowledge its unblocking powers on popular platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, Disney +, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to SetUp and Use NordVPN on Android TV
Can I use my Android TV NordVPN subscription on my Android mobile gadgets?
Yes, your NordVPN subscription can work on both Android TV and Android mobile devices. This is because NordVPN has apps for multiple operating systems and operating systems. What’s more? You can simultaneously use this subscription on both gadgets. For example, you can stream on your Android mobile and cast it on your Android TV. This is possible because NordVPN allows a maximum of six simultaneous connections on a single subscription.
Will NordVPN slow my streaming on Android TV?
Yes, every VPN, including NordVPN, can impact your streaming speeds on Android TV. Your distance from your preferred NordVPN server and the encryption quality both affect streaming speed. However, with NordVPN, you wouldn’t lose much speed. This is because it’s one of the fastest VPNs available. AV-Test, a security firm, confirmed this fact in one of its speed tests. In addition, you can always use NordVPN’s NordLynx protocol. It specifically built this protocol to maximize speed while guaranteeing security and privacy.
Should I use a free VPN for Android TV?
No, it would be best never to use a free VPN with your Android TV. Indeed, getting a free VPN that’s compatible with Android TV will be challenging. However, there are other downsides to using a free Android TV VPN. Such free VPNs often have few servers serving many people. This means that free VPN servers are often overcrowded, thus leading to slow streaming speeds. In addition, free VPNs usually have poor security and privacy features.
What Android TV apps can I unblock with NordVPN?
Android TVs have several apps from which you can stream content. However, many of these apps have region-locked content. Fortunately, though, you can bypass Android TV apps’ geo-restrictions with NordVPN. You can unblock content on Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, Twitch, Apple TV, HBO, DAZN, Amazon Prime Video, etc. With NordVPN, you can watch foreign content on these platforms. Unblocking YouTube TV with NordVPN will even grant you access to many other channels.
Anyone who decides to use NordVPN has made a brilliant choice. Using it on Android TV adequately protects your internet connection and permits access to a plethora of content you otherwise wouldn’t be able to access. We hope this article guides you in setting up NordVPN for your Android TV.