How to Set Up ExpressVPN on LG TV
If you have an LG TV, then you’ve probably hit a snag while trying to set up ExpressVPN on it. That is because LG TV uses webOS, and ExpressVPN doesn’t have software for the operating system. In fact, LG Smart TV doesn’t support the direct use of a VPN at all. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t stream content and watch live videos on your LG TV while maintaining a secure VPN connection.
This guide discusses three means by which you can enjoy the pleasure of ExpressVPN without caps despite using LG TV. You can access the services of ExpressVPN on your Smart TV:
1. Via a PC. This is a very direct and easy-to-comprehend setup method. However, you need a Windows computer.
2. Via SmartDNS proxy. This one is not as self-navigating as the first, but once you get informed by this guide, you’ll know what to do.
3. Through a Router. If you’re not a tech enthusiast, you might want to look away. On the other hand, you could learn a few things from this method.
At the end of this guide, you’ll be able to decide which method is the best for you based on the materials you have or can easily get.
Get ExpressVPN for your LG TV
Setting Up ExpressVPN via Your PC
Let’s move from the simple to the compound, and then the complex, saving the stress for the last. This method is self-directing. For this setup method, you need a Windows PC with an active internet connection and, of course, your LG TV.
Follow the step-by-step procedure highlighted below to experience the magic that comes with ExpressVPN, even on your Smart TV.
Note that you can connect your LG TV to your Windows PC either through a wireless connection or an Ethernet cable. Let’s explore the steps for a wireless setup.
1. Open: Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot
2. Turn on your Mobile Hotspot
3. Next, go to: Settings > Network and Internet > Change adapter options.
4. Search for ‘TAP-Win32 Adaptor V9’, right-click on it, then select Properties
5. Under the sharing tab, find “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” and press ‘OK’.
6. Turn on your LG TV and connect to the WiFi connection you have just set up, and you should be good to go.
If you’d like to use an Ethernet cable instead, follow these steps:
1. Make sure your computer isn’t connected to ExpressVPN yet.
2. Click the network icon in the menu tray and scroll through to Network and Sharing Center. Then select Open Network and Sharing Center.
3. Select Change adapter options.
4. Click TAP-Win32 Adaptor V9 (depending on your computer), then select Properties.
5. Select the Sharing option and tick the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection box.
6. Select the name of your Ethernet connection port name and click OK.
7. Connect your LG TV to your Windows PC using an Ethernet Cable.
8. Finally, you can now connect your PC to ExpressVPN via the app.
That process works very fine, and you can get it all done in just a few minutes. It saves you a lot of money because you don’t need to buy any extra accessories aside from what you have already.
Setting Up ExpressVPN Through SmartDNS Proxy
A SmartDNS proxy connection on its own effectively bypasses geo-censors on streaming platforms like Deezer, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix, amongst others.
As much as a SmartDNS does an excellent job in unblocking geo-restricted content, it doesn’t provide privacy and encryption features. In a bid to get an all-round satisfaction, you can integrate the services of ExpressVPN into the SmartDNS proxy to get an ultimate streaming experience.
Part 1 – Creating your Domain Name
1. Secure a personal DDNS hostname from dynu.com.
2. Sign up to create an account on the site (dynu.com).
3. Authenticate the email you registered with so that your account can be activated.
4. Click the Control Panel tab, and select DDNS Services.
5. Click the +Add button.
6. Pick a domain name for yourself in Option 1 or input in Option 2 if you have one already.
7. Click +Add.
8. Ensure that the settings in the middle are turned off, then click Save.
Your hostname will then pop-up to confirm it’s saved.
Part 2 – Setting up your hostname on the VPN
9. Make an ExpressVPN subscription.
10. Sign in to your account and open the Dashboard on the left side, then select DNS Settings.
11. Click Dynamic DNS Registration and input your hostname and click Save Hostname.
A notification will inform you that your hostname has been updated.
Note that it can take up to 10 minutes for ExpressVPN to detect the IP change. So you might have to wait for a little, but stay signed in to your account.
Part 3 – Configuring your LG TV
12. Click Set Up ExpressVPN, and navigate to the MediaStreamer section.
13. Configure your device with the available server addresses.
14. Turn on your LG TV and press Settings on your remote.
15. Select Advanced and go to Network. Then select either Wired Connection (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi Connection, based on your connection.
16. Click on EDIT.
17. Untick the Set Automatically box.
18. Input your MediaStreamer address (found earlier) in the DNS field and click CONNECT.
19. You might have to restart your Smart TV if the prompt pops up.
You can now stream on your LG Smart TV via ExpressVPN without bounds.
Get ExpressVPN for your LG TV
Setting Up an ExpressVPN Connection through a Physical Router
The use of a physical router gives you a more systematic approach to getting your Smart LG TV acquainted with unlimited streaming via ExpressVPN. One great advantage the router setup has is that you can channel your other internet-using devices via the VPN.
The setup is quite tasking, but this guide provides every piece of information you need to get it done. The setup for the two kinds of routers are reviewed as follows
Setting Up ExpressVPN on a Pre-Configured Router
VPN companies partner with router manufacturers to build routers that work their VPN fine by default. In this case, ExpressVPN has firmware for Asus, Linksys, and Netgear routers, which houses ExpressVPN configuration settings. So users don’t need to go the extra mile of setting it up.
Pre-configured routers work well to ensure the VPN protects all connected devices. They are more expensive than regular routers.
Setting Up ExpressVPN on an Unconfigured Router
Some people tend to tilt towards this mode of installation majorly because it’s cheaper, and they already know how to go about it. On the other hand, if you have a regular router, this guide makes the setup a piece of cake.
ExpressVPN has its compatibility requirements depending on the type of router you’re using. But overall, the router should support OpenVPN (because ExpressVPN uses the OpenVPN protocol) as a Client. Only then will you be able to connect to the VPN server.
In summary, the whole configuration setup is in 3 sections, namely:
- Login to router
- Configure router
To configure your router, follow the step-by-step instructions below
1. Download OpenVPN Configuration Files directly from the ExpressVPN website.
2. Input the default IP address for the router administrator panel (192.168.0.1.) in your browser to launch router settings.
3. Log in with the router’s username and password. If you haven’t changed it since you bought it, the username and password is admin by default.
4. Click Services, then VPN.
5. Activate Start OpenVPN Client by clicking the OpenVPN tab.
The next step is to edit and toggle options in the OpenVPN Configuration Panel.
Do not alter options that are left out in this guide.
Input the Following OpenVPN Client Custom Settings
1. Server Name: Input the Server IP or the Name of the OpenVPN Configuration File (.ovpn file).
2. Port Address: Input the digits after the server name in the configuration file.
3. Tunnel Device: Select the TUN option.
4. Tunnel Protocol: Select UDP.
5. Encryption Cipher: Select AES-256-CBC.
6. Hash Algorithm: Select SHA-512.
7. Username and Password: Input your ExpressVPN login details.
8. Advanced Options: Select Enable.
9. TLS Cipher: Select None.
10. L2O Compression: Select Adaptive.
11. NAT: Select Enable.
12. Tunnel UDP Fragment: Input 1450.
13. Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Select Enable.
14. nsCertType verification: Click to tick box.
To run a test, go to Status and select OpenVPN. If you’re connected to the VPN, you will see CONNECTED SUCCESS in front of the Client option.
Why Should You Use ExpressVPN For Your LG TV?
There is a wide variety of goodies that come with using a VPN service, and users tend to look out for some features over others.
Those features are all important and make a VPN like ExpressVPN a top pick even for cyber gurus. The pros that come with ExpressVPN are briefly discussed as follows:
1. The Best Security Features in the Business
ExpressVPN uses the “uncrackable” 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard to secure your network data. It then transmits it via an encryption tunnel without keeping records of your online activity.
This VPN service has a Network Lock feature that blocks your traffic transmission if you lose connection with the VPN. It also runs its Private DNS, aimed at delivering top-notch safety and speed.
2. Unblocking Geo-restricted content on Streaming Platforms
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 super-fast servers in 94 countries, widely distributed across 160 locations. The optimization of the available servers helps you give you the best experience in unblocking streaming and even social media platforms.
3. Split Tunneling
ExpressVPN has a Split-Tunneling feature that allows you to select which app gets channeled via the VPN. So you can choose apps that will transmit data via the VPN while others access the internet directly.
Get ExpressVPN for your LG TV
ExpressVPN will easily make the top of the list for a lot of VPN enthusiasts for obvious reasons. You can trust this VPN to work maximally for your Smart LG TV via any of the proposed means of connection. With this guide, you only have to worry about what to stream; everything else is sorted.