Setup and use Surfshark on PS5
A virtual private network (VPN) is a great option if you want to play games safely and anonymously. You can access geo-restricted local content, such as MMOs, PSN exclusives, Xbox Live, etc., by using a VPN.
A VPN shields your online activity from prying eyes by redirecting your internet traffic via a VPN server. Doing this gives you privacy and security advantages, including hiding your IP address and location safe from attacks/hack. Surfshark is an excellent VPN that provides these features.
However, installing Surfshark on your PS5 directly is difficult. Unlike the Android or iOS platforms, you cannot search for, download, and install a VPN client from the PlayStation Store.
Luckily, there are other options for adding VPN capabilities to your PlayStation 5.
How to Use SurfShark as a PS5 VPN
You can setup and use Surfshark PS5 in two ways:
- Connecting your PS5 to VPN via Router
- Connecting your PS5 SurfShark VPN via PC
Connect the PS5 via Router
First, we will look at configuring Surfshark in your router directly. One advantage of using this technique is that once you set up Surfshark on your router, you can connect other devices to the router to protect your online activities.
But before we go further, you should note the following:
- Your Router’s IP Address
Generally, your router’s IP address could be 192.168.1.1, 192.168.100.1, or 10.0.0.1. But if that’s not the case, you can follow the instructions below to retrieve it.
- Select the “Search” icon at the bottom, type “Command Prompt,” and click Enter.
- Type “ipconfig” in the Command Prompt application, and click enter.
- You will see your IP address under “Default Gateway.” Write down your IP address.
- Click the “Search” icon in the lower left corner, enter “Control Panel,” then click Enter.
- In the Control Panel windows. Select “View network status and tasks” and “Network and Internet.”
- In the “View your active networks,” look for “Connections.”
- Locate Connections by selecting “View your active networks.” Next, click on the name of the WiFi network.
- Now, select “Details…” from the “WiFi Status” panel.
- You can locate your router’s IP address next to “IPv4 Default Gateway” in the “Network Connection Details” box.
- Note down this IP address.
- Head over to System Preference > Network.
- Choose the network you are presently connected with, then click “Advanced…” on the lower right.
- Tap the TCP/IP menu.
- You will see your router’s IP address under “Router.”
- Write down the IP address.
2. SurfShark Service Credentials
Follow these steps to recover your SurfShark service credentials:
- Upon logging in, go to the Manual Setup > Router section of the SurfShark dashboard.
- Select the “Credentials” tab. You can locate your Username and Password right here.
3. SurfShark Server Configuration File
You have to get the configuration file for OpenVPN. To get one, follow these guidelines:
- On your SurfShark dashboard, go to “Manual Setup.” Then click “Router.”
- Select the “Locations” tab.
- Choose the location you prefer
- Click “Download TCP” to download the “.ovpn file” for the specified location in the new pop-up window.
- Keep the downloaded .ovpn file nearby for future usage.
4. Compatible Routers
Also, you need a decent router for this process to work. Asus routers, OpenWRT routers, Tomato routers, and DD-WRT wireless routers are all compatible.
Once you have all these sorted out, follow these steps:
- Type the IP address that you previously stored into your browser. You’ll be directed to the router’s management interface.
- Log in by entering your username and password. A new router setup should utilize admin/admin or admin without a password as the username and password.
- Go to “Advanced Settings” in the left sidebar and select “VPN.”
- Select “Add profile” under the “VPN Client” tab.
- Then select “OpenVPN” from the menu.
- Fill up the description and user name fields.
- Upload the .ovpn file next. Then, click OK.
- Click “Activate” on the “VPN Client” page.
- On your PS, choose network> Set Up Internet Connection.
- After selecting “Use WiFi,” click “Easy” on the following page.
- Find the recently created WiFi network and connect to it.
Connect Your PS5 to the VPN via PC
If your router is incompatible with installing a VPN setup, you can still connect your PlayStation to the VPN-enabled connection by using your computer as a tunnel.
You must download and install the SurfShark VPN installed to continue this procedure.
- Go to the TAP adapter settings.
We will first examine the Windows TAP adapter. Right-click the WiFi symbol in the lower right corner of your screen and tap “Open Network & Internet settings.”
Go to the “WiFi” or “Ethernet” section, depending on your computer’s current Internet connection. Find and tap on “Change adapter settings” by scrolling down.
In this new window, you should notice the SurfShark TAP adapter and other adapters. Continue to the next step while keeping this open.
- Enable Mobile Hotspot
You need to turn on your mobile hotspot to allow other devices to connect to the Internet using your Windows PC. So:
- Right-click on the WiFi symbol and head to “Open Network & Internet settings.”
- Look for “Mobile hotspot” in the left sidebar next. Toggle it on.
- Click once to enable mobile hotspot under “Share my Internet…” You will see your network name and password that grants others access.
- Configure the VPN adapter
Check the TAP adapter by returning to the Network Connections window.
- After turning on Mobile Hotspot, you ought to see that a new network adapter has emerged. This adapter will be used to distribute the PC’s Internet connection.
- Left-click the “SurfShark TAP adapter.” Then, you can right-click and choose “Properties.”
- Now, go to the “Sharing” tab in the newly opened window.
- The next step is to choose “Allow other network users to connect…”
- Then, add the new network adapter for the mobile hotspot’s network connection under “Home networking connection.”
- Connect to the VPN
You can finally turn on the VPN on our PC with these steps:
- Open the SurfShark application. Navigate to Settings.
- Select “Advanced” > Protocol.
- Choose the OpenVPN (UDP) protocol should be chosen
- Then, you can connect to the VPN server.
Using Surfshark VPN on your PS5 is a decision you should consider taking. Do not let the fact that you cannot set up Surfshark on your PS5 directly deter you. Instead, if you follow any of the steps discussed above, setting up Surfshark for PS5 will be easy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I use a VPN on the PS5 without Ethernet?
You can utilize a VPN on a PS5 without a PC without an Ethernet cable by connecting over WiFi.
Why should I use Surfshark for the PS5?
Surfshark is great for continuous gaming or streaming. When you use Surfshark for the PS5, you can access over 3,200 servers in 65 countries.
Furthermore, Surfshark’s Smart DNS function offers a fast and simple solution to access American streaming services on your PS5 if you’d prefer not to install it on your router. So, you can stream content from Netflix, HBO Max, or Hulu using your PS5 with this device. You can unlock geo-restricted material by doing this.
Surshark security structures also protect you from DDoS attacks and IP leaks. Additionally, there is no connection limit with this VPN, allowing you to encrypt all of your devices simultaneously.
There is more. Surfshark app users can access its stealth mode for getting around obstinate geo-blocking and a CleanWeb method for automatically eliminating advertisements and trackers. And if problems occur, Surfshark has a live chat-based help desk that is always available to help you.
Is using a VPN for PS5 Legal?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN for PS5. You can prevent third parties from accessing your online PS5 activity with a VPN. However, there are consequences for using a VPN for any illicit online activity. Therefore, it will be best to avoid all illegal activities when using Surfshark for PS5. Do not stalk, bully, or hack people while gaming.
Can I access streaming sites with a VPN on a PS5?
Yes, you can. The easiest way to do this is to use Smart DNS. Your PS5 must have a code copied into the network settings and restarted. Then, launching the streaming app should instantly trigger the regional library to load based on the DNS code.
Smart DNS can be very convenient but cannot replace a full VPN service. This is because it only supports a small subset of server locations and does not provide the same level of protection.
With Surfshark installed on your device or a VPN hotspot set up on your PC, you can stream Netflix content directly on your PS5. This will provide you complete access to the VPN network from your gaming console, allowing you to use its privacy protections fully.
- Setup and Use Surfshark on Firestick TV
- How to Set Up and Use ExpressVPN on PS5
- Best Free VPN for PlayStation 5
- Setup and use SurfShark on PS4
- SurfShark Review
- How to Set Up and Use Surfshark on Apple TV (Updated 2023)
- Surfshark for Netflix: Does it Work & How Good Is It in 2023?
- How to Setup and Use ExpressVPN on PS4 (2023 Guide)
- 5 Best Free VPNs for PS4 in 2023 (Fully Tested for Gaming)