How to Setup and Use ExpressVPN on PS4 (2022 Guide)
ExpressVPN is the king among the VPNs. One of the reasons it is so popular is because it offers excellent device support. ExpressVPN has dedicated apps for most devices. The list includes Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, Linux Smart TVs, and even gaming consoles. However, there is no dedicated app for Sony’s PlayStation 4. This is because it operates on the Orbis OS, which ExpressVPN doesn’t support at the moment.
This does not mean that ExpressVPN cannot be set up on PS4. With the right amount of know-how, you can set up and use ExpressVPN on any PS4 console.
There are three primary ways you can set up and use ExpressVPN on PS4:
1. Setting up via PC. This is the easiest method. Anybody could get this done.
2. Setting up through routers. This is for those who understand how routers work or are willing to invest the time needed to learn.
3. Setting up via MediaStreamer (DNS). This doesn’t need the VPN to work. but it offers no security or anonymity
We will work you through the process involved in each method to ensure that you know exactly how to set up ExpressVPN on your PS4.
Get ExpressVPN for your PS4
How to Setup ExpressVPN on PS4 via PC
You can use your personal computer to set up ExpressVPN on your PS4. All you have to do is share your computer’s connection with your PS4. This is a straightforward process that anybody can get done. For this method, you need your laptop, a stable Internet connection, your ethernet cable, and your PS4. To get it done, follow the simple steps detailed below:
1. Download and install ExpressVPN for Windows on your PC
2. Connect your PC to your PS4 using the ethernet cable
3. Go to Control Panel and click on Network and Sharing Center
4. Hover to the left sidebar and click on Change Adaptor Settings
5. Right-click on ExpressVPN and select Properties > Sharing
6. You would see a box that says: Allow other Network users to connect through this Computer’s Internet connection. Click it.
7. Find Home Networking Connection drop-down menu. Select Ethernet connection.
8. Open ExpressVPN and connect to a server.
9. Turn on your PS4. Go to Settings > Network Settings
10. Click on Setup Internet Connection. Choose Use a LAN Cable when prompted.
11. Choose Easy for connection method Choose. Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked.
12. Accept the settings and click on Test Connection to be sure it’s working.
That’s the procedure for setting up using a PC. Do take note that this procedure is for Windows PC.
How to Setup ExpressVPN on PS4 Using a Router
This method is easy and also pocket-friendly. This is because you can use your router to connect to all the devices you have around the house, including your PS4. That’s protection for all your devices at a go.
For Routers, there are two types; the pre-configured Router and the unconfigured Router.
The Pre-configured Router
ExpressVPN offers Pre-configured Routers. These Routers come already configured and do not need any tweaking or effort from your end. All you have to do is purchase one, turn it on and get it working immediately. All you need to do is register with ExpressVPN; if you haven’t, log in and start streaming. With an ExpressVPN Pre-configured router, you can forget about all the configuration processes and enjoy the service. However, a Pre-configured Router would be more expensive. If you can go through the rigor involved, then you can opt for an unconfigured Router.
Setting Up an Unconfigured Router
To set up an unconfigured Router to work with your PS4, you must take note of the following:
- The router must be compatible with VPNs
- The router must support OpenVPN
- It must support ExpressVPN as a client, not as a server.
For this configuration, you would need your Router, a stable Internet connection, and of course, your PS4. To set it up, all you need to do is follow the instructions we would list below to the letter. Do not touch any other thing as that could lead to unnecessary complications.
1. Sign in to ExpressVPN.
2. Go to your Router’s Admin panel in your browser and check for your Router’s documentation.
3. Find the local IP address for your Router. (most Routers have their default address set at 192. 168. 1. 1.
4. Sign in to your Router with your password. If you have never changed the password, then it would be at default.
5. Find ExpressVPN on the Router’s Admin panel. Its placement could vary from one Router to another.
6. Enter your ExpressVPN connection details. These will include your username, password, and the IP address of the server you would be connecting to.
7. Save all these changes and leave the Router’s Admin panel.
8. Start up your PS4 and head to settings > Network Settings.
9. Click Set up Internet Connection > Use WiFi
10. Choose Easy as the preferred connection method.
11. Select your WiFi network from the list and connect using the necessary login details. Ensure that you tick the do Not Use a Proxy Server.
12. Save the new settings and click on Test Connection to confirm it works properly.
Get ExpressVPN for your PS4
How to Setup ExpressVPN on PS4 Using MediaStreamer
The last setting we will be considering is setting up through MediaStreamer. This is a DNS setting provided by ExpressVPN that lets you stream unique content from top streaming platforms without having to change your IP address or use a VPN. What that consequently means is that you would enjoy all the content available, but you would not have the security and privacy that a VPN offers.
To set up MediaStreamer, you would need a PS4 with a stable Internet connection and an ExpressVPN account. There are three significant steps involved in setting up MediaStreamer on PS4.
Step 1 is creating a DDNS Hostname:
1. You have to select a third-party DNS Hostname provider. We recommend using Dynu.
2. Go to the Dynu site and click create an account on the top-right corner of the screen. Fill in all necessary information and submit. (Ensure you give a valid Email address as you would need it to verify your account.
3. When you submit, a message will display on the screen informing you that a verification mail has been sent to your Email address. Go to your Mail and click on the link in the verification mail to verify your new Dynu account.
4. Log into your newly created Dynu account and click DDNS services.
5. Click add on the top-right corner.
6. The next step has two options. You can either use a Dynu domain name (which is much easier), or you can use your existing domain name if you have one. But choices will work fine no matter what you choose. Choose whatever option you prefer and click Add.
7. Next, uncheck “Wildcard Alias” and enable IPv6 address. Click Save. Your Dynu account is set
This step involves registering your Hostname with ExpressVPN:
1. Go to the ExpressVPN site and log into your account.
2. Hover to the top-right corner and click DNS settings. Scroll down to dynamic DNS registration. Enter the Hostname for the Dynu account you just created and click save. (the word “Updated” will pop up on your screen indicating your Hostname has been saved).
3. Go to the My Subscription tab on the ExpressVPN site and click setup ExpressVPN.
4. Choose PlayStation on the next screen.
5. A DNS server IP address will appear on the screen. Please make a note of it as you would need it soon.
The third and last step involves configuring DNS on your PS4:
1. Turn on your PS4. Go to Settings > Network > Setup Internet Connection
2. Choose your preferred connection method (either WiFi or LAN Cable) on the next screen.
3. To Set up Internet Connection, choose Custom.
4. For IP address Setting, select Automatic.
5. In DHCP Hostname, choose Do Not Specify.
6. For DNS Settings, choose Manual.
7. Select Primary DNS. Here, you would be prompted to enter the MediaStreamer DNS server you noted in Step 2. Enter it and select Done. Leave the Secondary DNS untouched and click Next.
8. For MTU Settings, pick Automatic
9. For Proxy Server, select Do Not Use. Your setting will be updated.
10. Click on Test Internet Connection to ensure it works.
11. Restart your PS4 to allow DNS changes to register.
Now you can use MediaStreamer on your PS4. Once again, it’s worth stating that the MediaStreamer is not a VPN and doesn’t use the VPN connection. It only lets you stream on different streaming platforms. So, you are not protected. Your provider can still track your IP address and monitor your activities. To get security and privacy, use one of the other two setups above.
Get ExpressVPN for your PS4
Frequently Asked Questions on Using ExpressVPN on PS4
Here are some frequently asked questions.
How can ExpressVPN improve my gaming?
ExpressVPN can help you use your PS4 more efficiently by making you appear like you are in a different region of the world. Doing so can minimize ping times between gaming servers, help keep your data safe and hidden behind an encrypted network.
ExpressVPN secures your network, speeds up congested networks, and even protects against potential DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks and other cyberattacks. It encrypts your network using military-grade encryption and has other security features to ensure your online safety, anonymity, and privacy. ExpressVPN features will improve your connection speed and security while gaming.
Does ExpressVPN keep logs?
No, ExpressVPN has a strict zero-logs policy. ExpressVPN is big on privacy and stores no activity logs or connection logs. The provider assures that no logs are kept when it comes to your VPN use. As far as privacy is concerned, ExpressVPN is one of the most reputed VPN companies in the industry.
How do I install ExpressVPN on PS4?
You can’t directly install ExpressVPN on a PS4. However, you can set up the service on a router and connect your PS4 to it using Wi-Fi. You can also use a virtual hotspot from your phone or tablet, and connect to your home network from your PS4. Or use an ethernet cable to create a VPN connection from your PS4 directly to your router
Can I use a free VPN on my PS4 instead of ExpressVPN?
It is possible but strongly unadvisable to use a free VPN on your PS4. Free VPNs have several flaws, including in speed, security, and privacy. Using a free VPN will not reduce your ping and most likely cause your gaming experience to turn frustrating. Moreover, you can’t guarantee your safety from cyberattacks like DDos attacks when using a free VPN. They don’t have the necessary features to protect you. Not many free VPNs actually honor the no-log policy. Your data may possibly be sold to third parties for their profit. We advise that you use ExpressVPN for your PS4.
Using ExpressVPN on PS4 might seem a little difficult since there is no dedicated app for the Orbis OS. But if you follow any of the methods addressed above, you would be streaming on your PS4 in no time. Enjoy a safer streaming experience.