How to Set Up ExpressVPN on Samsung Smart TV (2023 Guide)
A “Smart” TV is a term used to refer to a television that has an internet connection enabled. Hence, it can access on-demand streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, iPlayer, amongst others. Smart TVs, like most devices connected to the internet, typically need VPN protection. This is because they are open to the same dangers that internet-enabled devices face. These include cyberstalking, identity theft, and malicious malware attacks.
While ExpressVPN is compatible with a lot of devices, it is not compatible with all Smart TVs, including Samsung Smart TVs. Hence, it becomes problematic if you are looking to use ExpressVPN with your Samsung Smart TV.
In this guide, we show you 3 ways to get around the compatibility challenge you may experience. You will find 3 sure ways of protecting your Samsung Smart TV using ExpressVPN.
Get ExpressVPN for your Samsung TV
Setting Up a Connection through Your PC
Using this process, you set up ExpressVPN on your Personal Computer. Afterward, you can then share the connection with your Samsung Smart TV. Here’s how to:
1. Open “Network and Sharing Center” and click on “Change Adapter Settings”.
2. After this process, you will find this option: “TAP-Win32 Adaptor V9” or any option that shows “ExpressVPN Tap Adapter”
3. Right-click. Then go to the option “Properties” and further to “Sharing Tab”.
4. Click on the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” option.
5. Connect your Samsung Smart TV to your internet connection. Since ExpressVPN protects your Internet connection, your Samsung Smart TV will enjoy that protection, too.
Setting Up a Connection through MediaStreamer
This is another route to get around the compatibility challenge ExpressVPN has with the Samsung Smart TV. MediaStreamers are apps that are used to stream content either from the internet or from a local TV station. The key difference between MediaStreamer and a VPN is that the former does not encrypt your traffic. It does a great job of improving your user experience. However, you will not obtain the protection that a VPN’s encryption gives you.
You will have to register your IP address on the ExpressVPN website to enable you to set up MediaStreamer on your Samsung Smart TV. Alternatively, you can obtain your DDNS hostname and register it on the ExpressVPN website. The hostname allows ExpressVPN to grant you access to use MediaStreamer. This is even in the instances where your Internet Service Provider reveals your IP address.
The instructions here will be divided into 3 parts. The first part here will be the steps on how to obtain and register your DDNS hostname. The second part will be how to register your IP address. The concluding part will show you how to set up a connection on MediaStreamer using your registered IP address or hostname.
1. Go to https://www.dynu.com and click on “Create Account”.
2. Fill in the details required and send. You will receive a verification notice by email. If, after a while, you haven’t seen it, you should check your spam folder because it could be there.
3. Click on the link in the verification email.
4. Log into your account.
5. Click on “DDNS Services”. Click on the “+” button to add a DDNS service.
6. You would have to create a new hostname if you hadn’t any prior. However, if you had one already, type it in and click on “+ Add”.
7. Your hostname will appear at the top near your current IP address. Click on “Save”.
8. To register your DNS hostname on the ExpressVPN website:
9. Sign into your ExpressVPN account.
10. Navigate to the sidebar and click on “DNS Settings”.
11. Scroll down to “Dynamic DNS Registration” and input your hostname.
12. Click on “Save Hostname”.
13. A notification will show you that your hostname has been updated.
1. To register your IP address on the ExpressVPN website, you need to follow the steps below:
2. Go to the ExpressVPN website.
3. Navigate to “ExpressVPN DNS Settings”.
4. You will then have to enter your ExpressVPN credentials, i.e. your username and password.
5. Go to “IP address registration” and then click on “Register IP address”. If it reads “registered,” then there is no need to go through with another registration.
You can toggle the “Automatically register my IP address” option. This will automatically track changes to your IP address and register when necessary.
When you are done with the two parts above, you are then ready to set up ExpressVPN for MediaStreamer. Do follow the steps below:
1. Go to the ExpressVPN setup page for MediaStreamer. You will find the IP addresses for MediaStreamer on the right.
2. Get your Samsung Smart TV remote and press the Menu button.
3. A menu will show up on the TV. Select “Network”. Further select “Network Status”. The TV will now run a check on your internet connection status.
4. When this process is done, click on “IP Settings” from the list of options that will pop up.
5. An IP Settings menu will appear. Click on “DNS Settings”.
6. Select “Enter Manually”.
7. Then input the MediaStreamer IP addresses from above.
8. Click on “Enter” on the remote. Then click on “Ok” to finalize the process.
Get ExpressVPN for your Samsung TV
Setting Up a Connection through a Router
This is perhaps the best way of making use of ExpressVPN with your Samsung Smart TV. This is because a router is rather convenient to obtain, set up, and use. Furthermore, you can potentially make use of the router for any number of devices. This is regardless of the fact that the maximum number of devices that can be connected to one ExpressVPN account is 5. When you configure a router, you can make use of it for any number of devices.
ExpressVPN is compatible with 3 routers: Asus routers, Linksys routers, and Netgear routers. Below, you will find directions on how to install ExpressVPN on Asus and Linksys routers. For Netgear routers, the process is basically the same as for Asus routers. Here goes:
Installing ExpressVPN for Asus Routers
1. Download the ExpressVPN app and sign up.
2. Download the ExpressVPN firmware. You can obtain this from the ExpressVPN website. During the download, select the model of the Asus router that you have.
3. Keep the browser window open. You will need the activation code subsequently.
4. Power on the router.
5. Install the firmware. To do this, you should navigate to your browser’s address bar and enter the default IP address for the router admin panel. This is 192.168.1.1.
6. Enter your Asus router’s dashboard’s username and password. The default username and password usually is admin/admin.
7. Click on “Administration” on the sidebar. Then further click on “Firmware Upgrade”.
8. Click on “Upload”. At this point, you will require the ExpressVPN firmware that you previously downloaded.
9. When the Upgrade is done, you can reboot your router manually.
10. Connect to the internet. You will have to do this using a cable or connecting through WiFi.
11. When you successfully connect to the internet, you will be taken to the ExpressVPN router dashboard. Follow the instructions to complete the connection to ExpressVPN.
12. You are set!
Installing ExpressVPN for Linksys Routers
1. Download the ExpressVPN app and set up an account.
2. Download the ExpressVPN firmware. You can also get this from the ExpressVPN website. Do not forget to select the model of your Linksys browser.
3. Power on your router.
4. In your browser’s address bar, input 192.168.1.1. This is the default IP address for the router admin panel.
5. You will have to sign in. Enter “admin” as your password. Click on “Sign In”.
6. Click on “Connectivity” on the router’s admin panel.
7. Click on “Choose File” and select the file you had downloaded earlier.
8. Click “Start”.
9. Reboot the router.
10. Connect to the internet either via cable or using WiFi. (To connect to the internet over WiFi, find the Linksys network. It is the last 5 digits of your router’s serial number. Enter the password found on the router.)
11. Once you connect to the internet, you will automatically get taken to the ExpressVPN router dashboard.
12. Click “Get Started” and follow the prompts.
13. You are good to go!
Why Should You Use ExpressVPN for Your Samsung Smart TV?
Making use of a VPN with your internet-enabled device is the best decision you can make. When it comes to VPN providers, you can scarcely do better than ExpressVPN. This provider is excellent across all fronts and is widely known as the king of VPNs. What features make it stand out?
Firstly, ExpressVPN has more than 3000 servers across 94 countries. This offers you global access to whatever content you want. With this provider, geo-restrictions will be a thing of the past. Hulu, iPlayer, Amazon Prime, and every other streaming platform will be available at the snap of a finger.
This provider makes sure that you have optimum speed when surfing the net or streaming content. Its servers are primed for speed. Thus, you will not experience any buffering or lags while using the internet.
Finally, this provider takes your security very seriously. It makes use of the standard AES 256-bit encryption to lock in your data. It also has a kill switch and further allows for split tunneling on all of its applications. When you connect your Samsung Smart TV to the ExpressVPN network, you automatically have access to all of these awesome security features.
Get ExpressVPN for your Samsung TV
Frequently Asked Questions on Using ExpressVPN On Samsung Smart TV
Here are some frequently asked questions.
What makes ExpressVPN best for Samsung Smart TV?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Samsung smart TVs. The VPN service has over 3,000 servers in 94+ countries, so you can switch between its fast servers and access your preferred content without any hassle. It offers good speed, access to blocked content, top-notch security features, and optimum privacy. You’ll have access to all geo-restricted content on Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, and other streaming platforms on your Samsung Smart TV.
The VPN provider ExpressVPN also helps prevent cyberattacks. The provider uses the AES 256 bit encryption, has essential protocols and other security features.
Can I install ExpressVPN on my Samsung Smart TV?
You can’t directly install ExpressVPN to your Samsung Smart TV. You will have to configure a VPN-enabled router first and then connect your Samsung Smart TV to the router for the configuration. Alternatively, you can use your Samsung Smart TV with ExpressVPN through a PC. First, connect your Samsung Smart TV to a VPN-enabled PC, then you can use the Samsung Smart View 2.0 installed on the PC to control and access your Smart TV.
Can I use a free VPN on my Samsung Smart TV instead of ExpressVPN?
No, you shouldn’t use a free VPN for your Samsung Smart TV. Although the free VPN offer can be enticing, it has numerous drawbacks that make it unsuitable for Samsung Smart TVs. Free VPNs can’t guarantee your access to geo-restricted content as some of their IP addresses are blocked by streaming platforms. Even if you bypass geo-blocks, you’ll be faced with frustratingly slow speed. Moreover, you will still be at risk of a cyberattack when using a free VPN. it doesn’t have the necessary security features to protect your devices completely. It is best to use ExpressVPN for your Samsung Smart TV.
Is it possible to get penalized for using ExpressVPN on Samsung Smart TV?
No, there are no repercussions for using ExpressVPN on Samsung Smart TV. VPNs are legal in most parts of the world, and there are no laws against using them to access geo-restricted content. You can safely and conveniently use a VPN for your Samsung Smart TV.
There is no doubt that making use of a VPN makes your Samsung Smart TV experience much more enjoyable. A VPN ramps up your security and eliminates challenges related to geo-blocks. In this review, we’ve shown you how to set up and use ExpressVPN with your Smart device. The steps are straightforward and reasonably self-explanatory. Enjoy!